Little Rock Moving Blog - Tips, Tricks, and Insider Info
January 14, 2019

Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Little Rock

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either nearby or across the country takes a great deal of coordination as well as organization, and many folks don't gather the appropriate documents ahead of time. The following is a quick resource guideline for the various valuable documents that you'll want whether moving local or orchestrating a long-distance move to Little Rock.

Let's be honest, it isn't like you have to have a passport along with a work visa to transfer over the state line, although once you've gathered all of your life documents together to cross the border those are roughly the only items you do not need. And the way our brains function, you would expect to need all of this certification for a cross-country move, but in the event that your move is geographically nearby--from Memphis merely over the river into a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for instance, it can come as a jolt that you need the many docs.

These are the records you're going to more than likely want to keep nearby whenever moving, and how to get them if they've expired or you could have lost them.

Driver's License

Regardless that driver's licenses are not suitable for federal identification for much longer, you will still have to have a current one--you should have it regardless, however if it expired a few weeks or perhaps a few months ago and you figured since you are moving why take the time, go bother. If you need to check in at the airport, rent an automobile, open up a bank account, or execute life generally speaking, you need a current driver's license to accomplish this. In case you are in a state where you cannot obtain a driver's license via the neighborhood Tag Agency same day, inquire about a paper back up of your new driver's license to make use of prior to the printed version coming in the mailbox; that is satisfactory identification for around three weeks.


In case you are moving for a new job, chances are pretty good that you will have to prove US citizenship prior to getting started. It is possible to renew it by mail if you meet particular requirements--your name has not changed, your last one was issued no more than 15 years previously, you were a minimum of 16 at the time, amongst others--but otherwise, you should make application for a new one in person. You may request an expedited passport if necessary but expect you'll pay an extra $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You will need a copy for everybody in the family for your move to Little Rock. If you can't put your hands on your original copies and you reside in the area or parish in which they happened to be supplied, a fast journey to the county offices will take care of it. If perhaps you were born in another place, request the copy from that place. Every place differs, therefore try an online search with regard to the county records the place you were born to determine the specific details to acquire a certified copy of your certificate of a birth. There is generally a minimal fee involved.

Marriage License

Should you need a reproduction, observe the very same process you would with the birth certificate. A household Bible or document from your religious organization will not be a suitable legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Each person in your family should have a social security number as well as a card; if you cannot place your hands on the cards you'll need to obtain replacements as quickly as possible. You can begin the process online, and mail in the supporting records, or you could proceed to the local Social Security Administration office with the files. Copies--even notarized ones--will not be satisfactory. You will need photo identification as well as proof of citizenship, consequently take a current driver's license and / or passport, school, employee, or armed service identification card, or a health insurance card.

Vehicle Registration

You are going to have to register your vehicles with your new community and state, therefore take the existing registration cards and verification of insurance coverage to the nearby BMV as soon as possible following your move to Little Rock. In a new state you'll receive a new license plate and tag; if the move was intrastate your license plate and tag are good, however your insurance charges may change.

Health and Immunization Records

If you have young ones, their new schools will require evidence of immunization in advance of enrollment. Possessing replications of the many family medical documents will help when you've got initial visits with new physicians.

Assemble all your records together as quickly as you can before your move to Little Rock and keep them together. Considering that you may need original copies of many items, simply place all the things inside a file folder and keep it with you or in a secure place over the actual move--this is something you won't want to misplace.

When you're ready to move to Little Rock, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group assist. Get in touch with us today to schedule your cost-free in-home estimate.


Request a free quote

The Mickelson Family
The Mickelson Family
Best. Move. Ever!
Very pleased with the overall respect and care the men gave to my possessions. Even mailing me very quickly the only thing lost in transit. Would recommend to anyone needing a long distant move.
Read more

Almost there...

Tell us a little more about yourself!
(Contact information is required to submit form.)